digital converter box -- surprising performance

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Mon Jun 16 15:10:53 EDT 2008

 > They've gotta be kidding.  This is something they have to
> engineer?  Purchasing small UPS's from APC or another
> manufacturer, in bulk, would cost the customer next to
> nothing.  I don't know what the power requirements of the
> fiber-to-Ethernet converter are, but a UPS would likely power
> the box for enough time to outlast the typical power failure,
> which isn't that long.  A UPS doesn't have to be mandatory,
> either, for people who have a cell phone and who therefore
> won't mind losing their FiOS landline for the length of a
> power failure.

I disagree.  Past performance shows that when there's a disaster the cell
systems get overloaded quickly.  Phone systems, landline and cellular, are
designed so that only a percentage of the phones can be used at any given
time.  With landlines it seems to be a higher percentage.  Further, if we're
talking about a localized situation, the cell tower serving that location
will be overloaded very quickly.  9/11 is a perfect, albiet extreme
illustration of this.  The cell network wasso overloaded that it was
rendered virtually useless.

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St - Ste 4