Sportscaster Jim McKay

Peter Q. George radiojunkie3@yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 13:19:04 EDT 2008

Thank you, Kevin, for sharing your memories of Jim McKay.  Though I never met Jim personally, I've heard nothing but praise for his total professionalism and his down-to-earth persona.  I grew up watching "ABC's Wide World Of Sports" as a kid ever since 1964.  The Saturday night hot-dog and bean supper would not commence until "Wide World Of Sports" ended at 6, with Jim McKay's declaration "....this has been ABC's Wide World Of Sports".

I will never forget at the age 12 with the '72 Munich Olympic Games, watching the tragic events unfold on live television when McKay's solemn announcement that all of the Israeli athletes were killed by terrorists..... "They're all gone.".  Even today (36 years later), watching that clip still gives me the shivers.  RIP Jim McKay.

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts
                           "Scanning the bands since 1967"
radiojunkie1@yahoo.com