HD Radio Station IDs

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sat Jun 7 18:26:41 EDT 2008

<<On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 17:08:14 -0400, Aaron Read <friedbagels@gmail.com> said:

> Now, bear in mind that...for the moment...there's no such thing as an HD
> Radio-capable tuner that does not have a visible display.  So to comply
> with 73.1201 a station does not need to *speak* "WXYZ-HD" as part of
> their legal ID.  They need only have the call letters with "HD"
> displayed as part of the PAD/PSD on the HD broadcast

Other interpretations are possible, given the FCC's recent increased
solicitousness towards the visually impaired.  I could make the
argument that using PAD is not sufficient, because it isn't ordinarily
accessible to the visually impaired.  That seems to be the approach
most commercial stations have taken, whereas none of the non-comms
here in Boston are identifying their HD signals in program audio.

I think the Clear Channel stations actually have it right.  The IBOC
service does not have a distinct callsign from the analog service, so
an announcement "broadcasting in Digital HD Radio" is most
appropriate.

-GAWollman