Political advertising

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Jun 4 16:04:39 EDT 2008

>>political candidates may not be required
to pay more than the lowest rate for a comparable non-political buy in
the six (?) months prior to air.<<

45 days before a primary and 60 days before a general election. (47 CFR §73.1942)

>>broadcasters aren't allowed to require political advertising
to meet any standard of accuracy or even public decency, even if the
station normally enforces such requirements on its other clients.  The
only requirements a station may impose are either purely technical
(deliver the ad in such-and-so format) or specified by law ("I
approved this message").<<

The classic example:  the late J.B. Stoner's campaign ads for US Senate from Georgia back in the 1970s.  He was an unabashed white racist who claimed in his ad that "the niggers want our white women"...and you can surely imagine the rest.  Multiple appeals were made to the FCC, but they were all turned down.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF/WEEI/WEEI-FM/WKAF
WMKK/WRKO/WVEI/WVEI-FM