Early Red Sox and Braves TV history

Kevin Vahey kvahey@comcast.net
Tue Jul 29 13:56:09 EDT 2008

WBZ-FM was rock for almost 10 years and absolutely made no dent in
listening habits.

Part of the problem was they would repeat the same segments over and
over. I can't recall any major push for live programming.

WBZ-FM had one brief moment of glory.

In the summer of 1967 Dick Summer got an advanced copy of Sgt Pepper
from the UK and while WBZ-AM was leery of upsetting Capitol Records
they allowed Summer to air it on WBZ-FM with Dick inserting voice IDs.

For one Sunday evening everybody who cared about Beatles music listened.

Hard to believe Westinghouse unloaded the station to Greater Media for only $4M.