so, what is "radio" good for?

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Tue Jul 29 12:58:37 EDT 2008

I-Pods are not a fad.  They are here, and aren't going anywhere.
Where older generations would take a trip to the record store, buy a
few albums or tapes, and take them home and listen to them, all you
have to do nowadays is click what you want online and download it
straight to your computer and into the I-pod.  It's not a long
process.  And it's not just "kids" that own them, either.  I'm in my
early 40's and have owned one for years.  Heck, I bought my mom one
and she loves it.  I helped her rip her entire CD library into I-
Tunes and transferred it to the I-Pod.  She now buys tracks online,
and even downloads podcasts!

It's taken awhile to take hold but podcasts will soon become more
mainstream, and again, the time commitment is minimal.  I subscribe
to several talk show podcasts, which are delivered into my I-Tunes
automatically and updated daily.  It takes just a few seconds while
checking email to download them into my I-Pod.  I now have hours of
content to listen to at my leisure, with no spackle and paste spots
to trudge through.  The same thing could be done with music as well.

The trend in the next few years is to make I-Pods even quicker,
easier and more convenient to use, knowing this generation will have
time constraints put upon them as they age.  Unlike terrestrial
radio, which has been resistant to change, the digital universe is
constantly evolving.  It may take awhile, but a workable digital
delivery system will emerge in this country because the marketplace
will demand it.  Today's I-Phone and similar products can store a
music/podcast library, but also access the web.  It will only get
faster with more choices as time goes on.  It's completely portable
and can be patched into most car sound systems on newer vehicles.
The future is bright for digital program delivery.  Terrestrial
radio?  Not so much...

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"