Early Red Sox and Braves TV history

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Jul 29 12:28:53 EDT 2008

At 12:06 PM 7/29/2008, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>Donna I take it he used the space at 70 Brookline Av later used by
>WMEX and then NESN? ( and for a brief time the last days of WITS )
>
>Donna was there a reason Boston was so late getting TV compared to the
>other major markets? Most major cities had at least one station by
>1947 but Boston had to wait until 1948.

First, yes Hollis and friends used 70 Brookline Ave, although they
also had another location briefly on Comm Ave.  In 1938, they claimed
("they" meaning the guys in charge of Shortwavve & Television,
including Baird and part-owner A.M. "Vic" Morgan) to have put the
first "television theater" on the air.

Second, my sense is that Westinghouse was really focused on
developing FM and was slow to realise that TV was what mattered most
to the average person.