could I get an opinion?

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Jul 27 16:38:14 EDT 2008

At 04:14 PM 7/27/2008, Paul Hopfgarten wrote:
>What I'm seeing here....
>
>Those that support Obama are defending him, those not so are not...

And that really bothers me -- it wasn't intended to be a referendum
on whether we like a candidate.  Should our personal views on
somebody affect whether we are fair to them in our coverage?  I train
journalists-- I was at Emerson for 19 years and will soon be starting
a new job at Lesley.  I've always told my students that whether I
like a political candidate or not, I will NEVER question him or her
in a rude or snarky way-- that would disgrace the people who came
before me.  And in my e-mails to this list, that's why I specified
that I'd feel the same way about the Obama incident if it happened to
McCain.  My question was NOT intended to be political.  It WAS
intended to be about ethics and the state of our industry these
days.  Is any rumour or any piece of information (no matter how it
was obtained) suitable for broadcast.

Let's remove it from politics entirely.  I recall very clearly when
somebody (who shall remain nameless) got their hands on the late
David Brudnoy's private medical information, which showed he was HIV
Positive-- this was before that information had been made
public.  Back then, the general consensus was to NOT put that
information on the air, even as an anonymous "leak".  Today, somehow
I think it would be on the news immediately.