could I get an opinion?

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 15:25:51 EDT 2008

Donna Halper wrote:

>> Dan wrote--
>>
>>  If he wanted a private moment, he wouldn't have invited the press.
>>

> People go to public religious shrines all the time, whether in the
> Vatican or in Israel or in Lumbini (birthplace of the Buddha).  And
> sometimes, photographers are there, or members of the media, if the
> person making the visit is famous.  But I don't get any sense that he
> invited the press to remove his private prayer from the wall and
> publish it.  Dan, answer me honestly-- if this had happened to John
> McCain, wouldn't you be a bit offended?
I do question Obama's seeming pattern with and through the press.  The
other 'controversy' involving Obama's last minute decision not to visit
hospitalized US troops while in Germany was officially cited as out of
deference for the privacy of the troops from the press.  The weak-link
in that decision for me is that there were innumerable measures that his
campaign could have taken (under the direction of the Dept. of Defense)
to get the candidate there and back before anyone even knew he left.
The smell-test comes to mind as a useful journalistic tool in the
toolbox.  It's one that American media need to dust-off.

Bill O'Neill