could I get an opinion?

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Jul 27 01:37:00 EDT 2008

On 26 Jul 2008 at 19:18, Donna Halper wrote:

> As many of you know, several days ago, Barack Obama was in Israel,
> where he went to the Western Wall, one of Judaism's holiest sites, and
> said a prayer.  He also wrote his prayer, as is the custom, and
> inserted it into a crevice in the wall.  As he left, an ultra-Orthodox
> rabbinical student removed the prayer and brought it to a newspaper,
> which promptly published it.  That is my question. Would you have
> published Obama's private prayer, left at one of Israel's holiest
> sites?

Well, I think what the rabbinical student did was reprehensible, but
that's the easy part.  I'm afraid that religious fundamentalists of
all strips manage to do some incredibly ungodly things in the name of
their religion.

That said, I wonder just what expecation Obama had that his prayer
would be private.  I don't know how much he knew about what happens
to prayers placed in the wall.  I understand that they are removed
regularly, otherwise the volume of paper would be overwhelming.  I
haven't yet seen the content of his prayer, so I can't begin to
guess, but I suspect he probably expected that the prayer would at
some point become public.  He may even have planned it that way.