Why Talk Radio is largely conservative - (Was: Howie Carr, etc.etc. etc)

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Wed Jul 23 11:42:23 EDT 2008

>>then we can really M*A*S*H up the conversation when we get into the whole
Hawkeye, Trapper, BJ and Charles discussion.  Of course, Charles Emerson
Winchester (3rd) is old school Boston blueblood, but the discourse would
best be suited as to where we would find the suitable political leanings of
the aforementioned other n'er'do-wells, not to mention the entire war or
no-war scenario.<<

Let's not forget Frank Burns, whose character was written as a mockery of the rock-ribbed reactionary conservative, talking in circles and saying nothing (and let's remember that most conservatives are not like that).  I mean, who could forget:  "KLINGER!  The next time I see you out of uniform...(sneer)...I'll PROMOTE you!" or "I'm sure you'll agree that by introducing more discipline, more order, I've hopefully made this a more enjoyable war for all of us."

For me, the problem with most talk radio as it's practiced now is that talk hosts don't get ratings unless they're talking past the other side.  Once or twice, however, you find a gem, like G. Gordon Liddy.  Forgetting for a moment his, er, checkered past (and, for some, his politics), he is unfailingly polite to anyone he's talking to, whether it's a guest or a caller, and he makes his points persistently but gently.  He at least gives the illusion of listening to whoever is talking, whether he is or not.  I've never heard him scream at, or hang up on, a caller.  I'm not a huge listener to talk radio, but he's easy to take.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
WAAF/WEEI/WEEI-FM/WKAF
WMKK/WRKO/WVEI/WVEI-FM