Why Talk Radio is largely conservative - (Was: Howie Carr, etc. etc. etc)

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:19:23 EDT 2008

Don A wrote:
> Another example is when they cover a protest by a Pro-Life group (Mass
> Citizens for life, who want to stop abortion, death penaly,
> euthanasia)....they are often referred to as "anti-abortion".
>
> The facts can be presented in many ways.
One of the few times I'd ever responded to a TV editorial was about 5
years ago with WPTZ TV (5, Burlington).  The GM who does the editorials
did put my rebuttal on, fair and square and without prejudice. Class act
all around.  Here was the deal (paraphrased):

"Marchers in the parade are going to represent an open and affirming
point of view about the (then proposed) civil union law.  Those in
protest will also be present, etc....."

My view was that the wording reflected a bias such that those in favor
of the civil union law were 'open and affirming' where those who may
have objected were protesters, closed and non-affirming.  I added that
Vermont is notorious for refreshingly civil displays of opposing
viewpoints and that the language in the story could even go so far as to
incite.  The station said it was grateful for my pointing that out and
we all moved on.

I think that we can pile-on (I know that I can) when it comes to the
media but we as consumers of media share a responsibility too.

Bill O'Neill