WWZN Going Christian?

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Mon Jul 21 18:26:37 EDT 2008

<<On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:43:59 -0400, Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com> said:

> In today's Herald, I saw an article about Pastor Bruce Wall going to
> do a radio show on WWZN, and in the article, it mentioned that WWZN
> was setting aside a large block of time (30 hours, as I recall) for
> Christian programming.  Umm, don't we already have a lot of Christian
> programming in this market?

That's not clear.

Two things to keep in mind:

(1) There's a lot more non-English-language religion, taken as a
whole, on the air than there is English-language religion, on signals
which are actually audible in Boston.  (So I'm not counting things
like WFGL/WJWT, WKMY, and WSMA, all of which are in the market but not
audible in the city.)  English-language religion is pretty much the
exclusive domain of Salem's 590 (full-time) and 950 (part-time).

(2) There are a *lot* of different varieties of "Christian", and many
of them don't see eye to eye on fairly fundamental matters.  Their
styles of preaching, and their notions of what a church is supposed to
do for its members are very different.  There are probably more
disagreements on theological matters (even among nominal Protestants
for whom /sola scriptura/ is a fundamental principle) as there are
among the branches of your faith, Donna.

-GAWollman