Howie Carr elected to Radio Hall of Fame

Don A donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 14:15:08 EDT 2008

> 1987.  Rush Limbaugh came to prominence soon after that.   Coincidence? I
> think not.

I seem to recall LOTS of conservative hosts prior to 1987.

Boston had Janet Jaghelian, Gene Burns, Gerry Williams, Brudnoy, Finnegan,
Meade, Whitley, Avi, Hubert Jessup, etc., etc.

I think what changed in the time you are referring was the "tone" of the
shows...not the number of conservative hosts.

I think the coarser tone of the shows (not the politcal ideology) seem to
reflect what was going on with the tone of dialogue everywhere in the world.

There was also an increase in quality(?) syndicated products becomeing more
and more available in the 80's, and less resistance from program directors
to run syndicated fare.

I don't think the elimination of the Fairness Doctrine is to blame/credit.

Gerry Willaims, one of the most bombastic hosts in Boston, had no problem
operating within the confines of the Fairness Doctrine and shouting his own
opinions for much of his career.