Howie Carr elected to Radio Hall of Fame

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:27:06 EDT 2008

David Tomm wrote:
> There's a reason that conservatives get their tighty-whities all in a
> bunch when the subject of restoring the Fairness Doctrine comes up.
I would suggest that it is that very down-the-nose-perspective on
alternate views that kills liberal talk every time.  At least there's
consistency in the remark.

> It's easy to blame local PD's, but they're not the problem.  Do you
> honestly think the program director at WRKO makes the decision on
> whether to run Rush Limbaugh or not?
Let's talk morning drive, let's consider liberal figures with decent
talker skills for the evening hours.  Those who could be driving these
points along with fifty thousand watts of power could display a genuine
fervor for what the market needs in terms of a dialog.

> Or to sign Howie Carr for that matter?  Look at the mega-million
> dollar deals Rush and Hannity just got.  For Citadel and Clear Channel
> owned Premiere to make those numbers, they need clearances.  That
> means programming mandates. Those two companies own a ton of stations
> in major and medium markets.  Those are decisions made well above the
> local level.

So let's get this right, the mega-million dollar corporations will be
forced to select hosts based upon the hosts' viewpoints versus the
viewpoints of the people, the customers who choose to positively respond
to the host and go out and buy the soap the broadcasters advertise?

Wake me when it 's over.

Bill O'Neill
/

/