Howie Carr elected to Radio Hall of Fame

Alan Tolz atolz@comcast.net
Mon Jul 21 13:19:37 EDT 2008

David writes, "Most of these talkers from the "glory days" of WRKO plied
their craft before the abolition of the Fairness Doctrine.  The hosts had a
variety of opinions on the issues of the day--some more progressive, others
more conservative.  They really reflected the views of most mainstream
listeners, and all viewpoints were at least tolerated most of the time."

IMO, I don't think the Fairness Doctrine has nearly as much to do with the
current sad state of talk radio as does the un-localizing effect of
syndication (regardless of whether it's more due to the available technology
or the economics of a consolidated radio landscape) and the over-consulting
of the format which reduced the role of the caller to a one-minute entity,
the topics to dumbed-down "for it or agin it stuff", and the role of guests
to what callers used to be...informative sidebars to the host.

Whether it was the busing crisis of the mid '70s, a fight to keep New
Braintree from absorbing a maximum security prison in the mid '80s or Mass.
legislator pay raises and local tax questions over the years, the days of
talk radio as an instrument of local importance and political action is
over.  And it's a chame because in the world of blogging and such, there's
no one "moderator" that makes a connection with everyone and anyone willing
to listen and learn about something.

David also writes, "As a result, talk radio today appeals primarily to older
white males which is (surprise!) the strongest demographic of the Republican
Party.  In an industry which is constantly looking for younger and
increasingly more diverse demographics, talk radio has become a dinosaur."

Talk radio's primary demo was "55 to petrified" since FM tuners became
universally available.  When the consultants cobbled together the formula of
what they thought would work with younger demos, their answer was make the
topics more "USA Today" and less "New York Times".   Don't get into things
in-depth.  Think back to the early 1990's...did you hear ANYBODY talking
in-depth about the savings and loan crisis?   Do you think ANY mainstream
talker will address the current financial/real estate meltdown in detail,
other than perhaps specialty weekend shows?

The only folks who have some of the elements of real talk still in place are
at NPR.  This goes to David's point of the economics of only being abel to
afford one local host at a station like RKO.

Maybe I'll procure the tapes of the great talk hosts of the 60's, 70's and
80's and stream them as a Classic Talk Station".  I bet it would be quite
informative and entertaining...some ot it quite prophetic too. :-)

Alan