Howie Carr elected to Radio Hall of Fame

Steve Cloutier cloutier@piesky.com
Fri Jul 18 13:14:16 EDT 2008

>In a major upset Howie Carr beat out Chicago based Steve Dahl to win
>election to the Radio Hall of Fame based in Chicago.
>
>Dr James Dobson beat Howard Stern in the national category.
>Former WMEX jock Charlie Tuna was also elected as was Art Bell.
>
>Jess Cain was also honored in the posthumous category.

I happened to be listening to Howie at the moment he found out !  He was
obviously quite surprised and caught off guard by the whole thing.  He
thought the "Local Boy" would win.

I've been listening to Carr for a long time - and before the recent
contract changes.  I haven't noticed a big change before V/S after,
although Entercom appears to censoring what some of the hosts say/do.

The biggest example of this was John Depetro, who was canned after some
remarks about one of the candidates running for governer.  Even the
candidate did not care about the remarks, but apparently someone at
Entercom did !  Too bad, too - Depetro was, well - shall I say -
"interesting"??

Anyway, agree or disagree with his opinions, Howie Carr definitely deserved
induction into the Radio Hall of Fame.  His long and interesting career in
news and broadcasting, along with his personality makes him highly qualified.

Regards,

Steve