Felger leaving ESPN Boston

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jul 14 10:50:21 EDT 2008

Yes but, by dint of being licensed to Lawrence and not to Boston
(though Hildreth and Rogers obviously had their sights set on Boston),
WLAW was forced to find a more northerly and somewhat more easterly
site and use a pattern that was closer to a figure-eight than to a
cardioid. In my opinion, the result turned out to be fortuitous indeed
(especially years later when WRKO was able to modify its day pattern
to improve its daytime coverage of MetroWest). The Burlington site
just beats the Needham site hands down! WRKO covers both Southern NH
and (because of the salt water path) Cape Cod like a local; WEEI does
not. Heck, with the exception of its inability to cover much to the
west of 128 because of WTAG, WEZE with only 5 kW and electrically
short towers, has a better signal in many parts of the market
(including downtown Boston) than does WEEI with 50 kW from half-wave
towers.

By choosing the Needham site, WHDH was forced to send a huge signal to
the east to deliver 25+ mV/m to downtown Boston despite the horrendous
soil conductivity. That wastes a lot of energy over Mass Bay to the
east. And without the salt water to help out, the 850 signal on Cape
Cod is at best mezza-mezz. Meanwhile, Nashua and Manchester are at
least a dozen miles closer to Burlington than they are to Needham.

Needham may have been an obvious choice but Burlington was, in fact,
by far (and probably out of necessity) a better one.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367