Like tropo--except it's AM!

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jul 14 08:55:47 EDT 2008

Last night and early this morning I picked up some AM stations I've
never heard in Arlington. They aren't especially far away but I can't
normally pick them up here and the fades prove that I was getting
skywave reception--not groundwave. At the top of the fades, the
signals were loud and clear: WNNZ 640, WELI 960, and WHLI 1100. No, I
did not catch legal IDs, but I did hear a mention of New Haven on 960
and the others make sense from a content standpoint (BBC news last
night after 11:00PM on 640 and a Nat Cole record this morning shortly
after 5:30 on 1100).

This is high-angle skywave, which suggests--I believe--that the
reflective layer of the ionosphere is unusually low overhead. I can
offer no explanation for that phemomenon. Maybe someone else can.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367