Felger leaving ESPN Boston

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jul 14 07:58:03 EDT 2008

Garrett: Since you live in Framingham, you are probably never reminded
of WCRN's major problem inside of Route 128--SERIOUS phasing between
skywave and groundwave. This affects the signal at night as well as
during the day (during critical daytime hours, anyhow). The effect is
so serious that it often renders the signal unlistenable. Mr Carberry
might indeed be able to sell time on WCRN to Boston advertisers, but
if the reps carried radios with them to demonstrate the signal to
prospective clients, the reps would have to be very careful to avoid
calling on clients after sunset in the winter or in the two hours
after sunrise and before sunset year 'round.

WCRN's towers are quarter wave and I frankly had not expected the
phasing problem to be as severe as it is. I think there might be some
value to top-loading the towers to reduce the high-angle radiation,
even though doing so could necessitate a slight power reduction to
compensate for the increased radiation efficiency. WCRN is tucked in
very close to WEEI and keeping the contours exactly where they are now
after increasing the electrical height of the towers to 120 degrees
would require reducing the power to 43 kW. The cost would probably not
be prohibitive and the number of listeners who would receive a
listenable signal might increase significantly. But 43 kW instead of
50 kW on the letterhead could be a turnoff to advertisers who don't
understand the finer points of AM allocations.

Oh, and there is a unique problem that affects WCRN in areas northwest
of Boston where both WRKO and WWZN have very strong signals. 1510-680
= 830. And since WWZN operates intentionally slightly off frequency
(but not so much that it is out of spec) to avoid interference to TV
sets in Watertown and Belmont, the 830.01 (or is it 829.99) -kHz beat
note (generated by the beginnings of saturation in the receiver)
causes 830 to have a "gravelly" sound. Not fatal, but annoying.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367