Felger leaving ESPN Boston

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Sun Jul 13 10:21:06 EDT 2008

But for the most part, 890 doesn't appear in the Arbs and when they
do, it's barely above the minimum share.  ESPN will stay there until
a viable FM sports alternative comes around--and then they're gone.
ESPN does own some FM affiliates...Dallas comes to mind off the top
of my head.   For the most part their O&O's are on AM, but there are
quite a few non-owned affiliates on FM, and that number will increase
in the future.

The industry is moving toward posting, which means stations (and
networks) are becoming more accountable to advertisers and agencies.
Ad buyers want quantifiable results, and just clearing spots on a low-
powered AM that gets no ratings isn't going to cut it in the next few
years.  Tang and the Worldwide Leader may go way back, but business
is business.  If ESPN can get their spots cleared on a full signal FM
in a sports crazed major market like Boston, they'd jump at the
opportunity.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"