WNTN in Auburndale

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 10:56:10 EST 2008

> > From: "Paul Hopfgarten" <paul@derrynh.net>
> CC: boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org
> To: "'John Mullaney'" <john@minutemancomm.com>,
> 	"'David Tomm'" <nostaticatall@charter.net>,
>       <ssmyth@psualum.com>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:05:34 -0500
> Subject: RE: WNTN in Auburndale
>
> Where is Thompsonville (That's the only one I'm unfamiliar with)

The small Newton village of Thompsonville is the uphill area of
Langley Road which rises south of Newton Centre and ends at Route
9 (just west of Chestnut Hill), and all of the streets off of the
Langley Road hill which are mostly dead ends, "cul de sacs", and
developments with no outlet besides the entrance from Langley Road.

The east end of Jackson Street which ends at Langley Road, and the
small streets off of it, may also be considered Thompsonville. In
the past, Thompsonville may have been considered to go the length
of Jackson Street out to Parker Street, including Cypress Street.

Mainly old-timers and people with family roots in the area still
call it Thompsonville. Most residents currently consider the area
to be part of Newton Centre.

> Some "villages" straddle multiple political subdivisions, like
> the 2 NH villages I had mentioned (Pinardville and Penacook)

"Chestnut Hill" is part of Newton, part of Brookline, and part of
the Boston neighborhood West Roxbury. Some consider parts of the
Boston neighborhood Brighton (near BC) to also be in Chestnut Hill.

EP