Window Studios

Russ Butler songbook2@comcast.net
Wed Jan 30 12:41:48 EST 2008

Kevin Vahey reminds me that WLS-TV in Chicago has a window studio which
was where a minivan crash occurred.

Thanks, Kevin.  Speaking of Chicago:   I did a radio show in a window
studio "inside" the lobby of The Edgewater Beach Hotel in Chicago in the
late-50's.  The hotel guests would wander by, stop for a few minutes (or
longer sometimes) and peer into the fishbowl and occasionally tap on the
glass.  Then wave at ya!  The station engineer thoughtfully installed a
loud speaker under the window for folks to hear the broadcast  (which
was easily muted from the studio console, thankfully).

WEBH-FM had their transmitter on top of the hotel and a small space set
up with one onair studio and two offices, a receptionist desk and a
closet that contained the LP library.  Ah, the memories linger on, those
Montavani albums and each newscast  was read live and  had to have a
Montavani instrumental track as background music, per the owner's (Buddy
Black) programming mandate.  It made the bad news items sound better, I
guess.   Does anyone else have a "window studio" story?

=Russ   songbook2@comcast.net