WEZE, WCOP and NBC

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Wed Jan 30 09:45:21 EST 2008

A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> On 29 Jan 2008 at 15:10, Brian Vita wrote:
>

>> Actually in a typical 35mm projector that still uses reels, the upper
>> feed reel runs counterclockwise, the takeup reel below runs clockwise.
>>  In Europe they both run clockwise.  Very few theatres actually still
>> use reels, however.
>>

> What do they use?

Platters.  Its usually a set of 3 to 5 52" disks that each would hold 4+
hours of film.  The film is fed out of the center and taken up on an
adjacent empty deck around a removable core.  During the next
performance, the core is removed and the film is again fed out of the
center.  There is no rewinding or backing up with this system.  The film
still arrives at the theatre on 20 minute reels.  The projectionist or
manager/operator splices the reels end to end, much like the old home
movies, as he winds it onto the platter deck.  At the end of the run,
the process is reversed.

See:

http://www.strong-cinema.com/DisplayFileObjects.aspx?i=e1a34fc1-ffd1-4e6d-bf35-9edee66afa81

That's the most common brand and the one that I happen to sell

Brian