WCOP & WBZ

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Jan 30 01:12:24 EST 2008

On 29 Jan 2008 at 17:41, kvahey@comcast.net wrote:

> Where Allston ends and Brighton begins is one of the great mysteries
> of Boston. The general rule of thumb is the zip code 02134 which BZ is
> in is Allston. When I was growing up the border along the Charles was
> based as if Cambridge was on the other side it was Allston and if
> Watertown it would be Brighton. Everett St marks that spot on Soldiers
> Field Road. Allston begins at the BU Bridge allong that part of
> Commonwealth that Boston kept when Brookine broke away from Boston in
> the late 1800's. Brookine wanted nothing to do with Boston or Suffolk
> County and was given to Norfolk County even though the town does not
> touch any other part of the county. In any event WBZ is in Allston.

No, Brookline did not break away in the late 1800s.  It broke away in
November 1705.  The town celebrated its 300th anniversary a couple of
years ago.  When Brighton was annexed to Boston, there was also a
move to annex Brookline, but Brookline rejected annexation by a vote
of 707-299.  However, a portion of Brookline along the Charles River
was annexed to Boston in order to connect Brighton to the rest of
Boston.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookline-
Boston_annexation_debate_of_1873

When the Legislature created Norfolk County in 1793, from the
southern part of Suffolk, it included Brookline, West Roxbury, and
Hyde Park, and Brookline was not geographically separate from the
rest of the county.  When West Roxbury, and Hyde Park were annexed to
Boston, those towns became part of Suffolk County, and Brookline at
that point became noncontiguous with the rest of the county  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_County%2C_Massachusetts

Cohasset is also a non-contiguous part of Norfolk County.  This,
according to the Wikipedia article, is because Hingham and Hull were
originally to be part of Norfolk County but, for some reason, were
transferred to Plymouth County instead.