Licensed to non-actual locations

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Jan 30 00:18:31 EST 2008

<<On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 22:39:30 -0500, "Dave Doherty" <dave@skywaves.net> said:

> There's a lot of case law about New England towns because the legal
> organizations of communities are so different here than in the bulk of the
> country. I think it is likely that every square inch of New England belongs
> to some "town" or other.

Nope.  The unincorporated communities in Vermont, New Hampshire, and
a very large chunk of Maine are not towns.  (With a couple of
exceptions: there are a few unincorporated towns in Vermont; these
places were formerly towns and later disincorporated when the
population left in the mid-nineteenth century.)

> So, could you license WHOM today to "Mount Washington?" Probably not. Gorham
> would a piece of cake, though.

Only just -- Gorham already has a station, so you'd have to do it as a
"second local".  That also lets out Berlin (1), Jackson (1), Conway
(3f), North Conway (1), Lancaster (2), and Whitefield (1).  You could
do Bartlett (only an LP) or Twin Mountain or Bethlehem (1 app) or
Fryeburg (1 app), or even make a try for Bretton Woods.

-GAWollman