Licensed to non-actual locations

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Tue Jan 29 22:39:30 EST 2008

There's a lot of case law about New England towns because the legal
organizations of communities are so different here than in the bulk of the
country. I think it is likely that every square inch of New England belongs
to some "town" or other. That is patently not true in other areas of the
country, particularly the West.

CDPs were meant to add substance to concentrations of population that were
not incorporated in the traditional sense. They are accepted by the FCC as
licensable communities without any further documentation. If the community
is not a CDP and is not incorporated, then there are qualifications hoops to
jump through - local governance, local school district, local police force,
band existence of local businesses all help to establish a place as a
licensable community.

The peak of Mt. Washington is in Sargents, but the slopes include Crawfords
(where the base station is located), Beans, Chandler, Thomson and Meserves,
Cutts, and arguably several others. I doubt anybody actually lives in any of
these "towns," and not one is included in the census places table. I am
totally guessing here, but I suspect that these "towns" represent the
original landholdings granted by the King or the territorial Governor way
back when.

So, could you license WHOM today to "Mount Washington?" Probably not. Gorham
would a piece of cake, though.

Tuck showings are intended primarily to establish that a community is not a
made-up entity within a larger community. It works mostly to prevent
wholesale moves of stations from small communities to large metros. When you
move a station to a new community, you can't propose to serve more than a
particular percentage of any recognized urbanized area. As an example, you
could not propose to move a station from, say, Provincetown to Norwood, if
the station would serve more than half the Boston urbanized area.

-d