Colonial Network

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Tue Jan 29 08:49:55 EST 2008

This is a 1936 list of Colonial affiliates, taken from BRI's own website
(Donna's work, I suspect):  WAAB, WRDO, WLBZ, WICC, WSAR, WTHT (Hartford,
now WPOP), WLNH, WLLH, WFEA, WNBH, WNLC, WEAN, WSPR, and WBRY.

It's curious that WCSH wasn't included, as Maine Broadcasting owned WCSH,
WLBZ, WRDO and WFEA at the time.

WNAC, WAAB and WEAN were all owned by Shepard.

I don't know whether Colonial died when WAAB moved to Worcester (Donna -?),
but I do know that Shepard II continued to own WAAB for several years after
the move.  I visited WAAB's 34 Mechanic Street studios once when I was a
teen, during the time Atlantic Records owned the station.  Niiiiice digs,
and aside from modernized equipment, pretty much unchanged from the Shepard
years.  In fact, the original WAAB logo, in Yankee/Colonial's unique art
deco typeface, still appeared over the main door.

-Doug