WEZE, WCOP and NBC

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Mon Jan 28 19:29:15 EST 2008

Jon: Thanks for the info.  I remember WCOP becoming WHUE, then WSNY.  Was the station still with NBC when you left?  And did Schering Plough still own the station when it did the format and call letter change?

-Doug
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jon Maguire
  To: Doug Drown
  Cc: Kevin Vahey ; Dan.Strassberg ; boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
  Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 7:14 PM
  Subject: Re: WEZE, WCOP and NBC

  1150 was WCOP thru 1975, when I left the engineering ranks. It was owned by Schering Plough.

  Jon Maguire

  Doug Drown wrote:
I remember WEZE's glass-paneled streetside studio on Boylston Street from
when I was a kid.  The station was proud of its NBC affiliation, and it was
a major player in the Boston radio market.  For whatever
in-hindsight-foolish reasons, WEZE dropped its NBC affiliation around 1965
or so and WCOP picked it up.  I think by the time I was in college (1969)
WCOP had been sold, changed its call letters, and Boston was bereft of NBC
Radio.  That was the case until a few years later when WMEX became WITS,
which didn't last long.  After the mid-'70s,  I don't remember Boston having
an NBC outlet again until the early- to mid-'80s when WRKO signed on with
the network.  It remained an affiliate until a couple of years into Westwood
One ownership, when it picked up CBS after WEEI was sold.

NBC really hasn't had a consistent presence in Boston since WBZ dropped it
back in 1956.  And, of course, the network barely exists now, but that's
another (sad) story . . .

-Doug