WTTT (or is it?)

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jan 28 09:44:18 EST 2008

Most likely at 12:01 AM today, WTTT 1150 AM flipped from Salem
Communications' conservative talk network to what I presume to be CCM
en Espanol. From what I can tell (and remember, I don't speak Spanish,
so a lot of this is pure guesswork), the programming is a simulcast of
an FM 105.5 in Miami, which must call itself Radio Luz (which sounds a
lot like Radio Lose to these monolingual ears). Radio Lose would be an
apt moniker for the majority of the formats that have graced the
Boston 1150 frequency for decades. Still, I don't believe that, as an
ideolically driven ultra-right-wing talker, WTTT managed to capture
the Boston market crown for fewest listeners per watt. That award
probably still goes to 50 kW WWZN 1510.

BTW, this is not 1150's first flirtation with Espanol. 1150 was the
original Boston market home of the WAMG calls (now on ESPN 890). When
1150 was WAMG, it was the local outlet for Mega Communications
(Communicaciones?), which also owned 890 and left the WAMG calls
behind there when it hastily withdrew from the market while paddling
furiously to reach the shore of the Sea of Red Ink in which it was
engulfed.

I have yet to notice any kind of TOH ID on Radio Luz. For sure, I have
not heard a TOH ID in English, and if there was one in Spanish, I did
not realize it. So I don't know whether 1150 is or is not still WTTT.

I hope someone can supply more info on the Miami station. Does Salem
own it? It is programmed by Salem or is it LMAed to somebody else? If
Salem programs it, is this a format Salem has placed on the bird?
Could this apparent simulcast just be stunting until the REAL new
format (presumably also en Espanol) arrives this Friday, February 1?
Inquiring minds want to know.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367