[Fwd: 16:9 Aspect Ratio]

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Jan 25 18:36:16 EST 2008

Bill O'Neill wrote:
> Garrett Wollman wrote:
>> Obviously you haven't traveled with Mr. Fybush.
>>
>> I think it's possible to handle about four distinct sources, provided
>> they are all physically separated.
>
> I have to believe that Mr. Fybush's many years in news rooms were
> formative to this skill.  I recall Scott in the news room with, among
> other sources of audio at full volume: ABC private channel, ABC news
> audio, news scanner, and two legacy AP machines, ringing phones, air
> monitor....

Which was really just practice for the BZ newsroom, which added about
eight more audio sources (CNN, later CBS, plus more scanners, the Group
W news squawker, etc.) into the mix. And then they moved us in with TV...

But to get back to Garrett's original point: it's true that I sometimes
have multiple sources of audio going at once when I'm trying to get a
bunch of top-hour IDs while traveling. Even with the help of earbuds,
though, I really can't focus usefully on more than perhaps three audio
sources at once. Everything else becomes background noise, which is not
always a good thing!