that horrible BEEP

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jan 21 10:04:39 EST 2008

When I arrived in Troy in late August 1952, WROW was owned by Hudson
Valley, the company that built the station (probably around 1947 or
1948). I remember seeing a letter on WROW's stationery, which very
promnently announced "Harry L Goldman, President."

The following anecdote reveals a certain irony in Goldman's so
unabashedly publicizing his ownership of the station: Probably in the
early fall of 1953, when Goldman still owned the station. a new
announcer, Arnold Friedman, joined the air staff. Friedman was very
good (as were all of WROW's announcers with the possible exception of
Ralph Vartigian, who I regarded as marginal for a major market
station). But a few weeks after Friedman appeared, he quietly
disappeared. A couple of weeks later, "another" announcer, who sounded
EXACTLY like Friedman, appeared on WROW. This guy was "Mark Edwards."
A while later, I visited the WROW studios, located in a cramped and
dirty former apartment building not far from the State Capitol
building on the south side of State St in Albany. I asked the
announcer on duty (might have been George Leighton) what the story was
with Friedman/Edwards. He said that Goldman had decided that the
Capital District audience was not ready to accept an announcer with a
Jewish name, so he had Friedman disappear for a while and then
reappear with a more generic (that is, WASP) name. Apparently, Goldman
figured that the advertisers WERE ready to do buiness with a station
owned by a Jew. How else could he have justified having his own name
appear so prominently on the station's stationery?

Anyhow, when WXKW 850 left the air in the fall of 1953, WROW took over
the ABC Radio affiliation from WXKW.  At that time, WROW dropped
Mutual, which I believe migrated to WOKO or maybe WPTR. Goldman still
owned WROW when that happened, but I believe that Hudson Valley had
already been granted (or expected to soon be granted) Channel 41. I
believe that Goldman had hired Friedman in expectation of his working
in both TV and radio.

You have placed WTRY's dropping of CBS Radio in 1955, which seems
quite right to me. WROW picked up CBS and dropped ABC at that time. I
believe that was when ownership of WROW was transferred to Capital
Cities. I have a couple of reasons for thinking so; I think both WROW
(AM) and WROW-TV switched affiliations at the same time. Also, Frank
Gicca, who was one class ahead of me at RPI, had formed Rho Tau Sigma,
the short-lived national undergraduate extracurricular
radio-television honor society. Rho Tau Sigma was Gicca's ticket to
being named to Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities. Gicca
graduated from RPI in 1955. Before he graduated, he had assiduously
cultivated the gentleman who had come to WROW from New York City to be
general manager of WROW AM and TV. That gentleman was Roger Bauer,
best known as the creator and producer of the Mutual Network comedy
show "Can You Top This?" I clearly recall Bauer receiving an award
from Rho Tau Sigma and appearing as the guest speaker at the RPI
chapter's first annual awards ceremony and induction dinner, which,
IIRC, took place in the spring of 1955. Gicca's and WRPI's association
with Bauer paid off, but not until both Frank and I had graduated from
RPI (he in '55; I a year later).

As had many AMs in the 50's, WROW had dabbled in FM, operating WROW-FM
93.9 from WROW's transmitter site in Glenmont, running 1 kW from a GE
transmitter into a single-bay antenna mounted on a telephone pole near
the Tx building. WROW was on the air the legal minimum of six hours a
day (3:00PM to 9:00PM) and IIRC never did anything but simulcast WROW
(AM). Gicca knew that WROW was going to surrender its FM license
(which it did a year or so later) and he wanted the station to donate
the GE transmitter to RPI for use at WRPI, which he hoped would apply
for an FM license. And that is exactly what happened. I remember
traveling to Troy for WRPI-FM's formal sign-on cermony while I was a
graduate student at MIT (which means it HAD to have happened between
'56 and '58).

Moreover, the relationship between WROW and WRPI continued to bear
fruit. Later, when WRPI (by then using the donated transmitter on 91.5
with a (probably different) single-bay antenna mounted on a different
telephone pole outside RPI's 15th St student lounge building) wanted
to increase its coverage, it moved to WROW-TV's (or maybe by then it
was WCDA's) Channel 41 tower in N Greenbush and increased its ERP to
10 kW. (BTW, WROW later got back into FM with a new WROW-FM on 95.5
with full Class B facilities from a site in the Helderbergs.) Anyhow,
I'm sure that Bauer was at WROW in 1955 and I don't think he arrived
until Captial Cities had acquired the station.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367