that horrible BEEP

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Jan 19 13:09:07 EST 2008

>Paul wrote--
>
>ABC radio always had a tone at five seconds before a newscast started.

Yes, and I do remember those tones (like the NBC chimes, or the
telegraph sounder that ran under the news... even though nobody had
used telegraph in years).  But what started my original query was
that I'm trying to figure out was why some of the pioneering radio
talkers like Joe Pyne and KDKA's Ed & Wendy King at first paraphrased
the caller instead of putting him or her on the air.  I thought it
was technological-- but then I found clippings of callers put on the
air in 1929.  SO now I am thinking maybe it was the annoying beep on
the phone line?