that horrible BEEP

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Jan 19 09:28:14 EST 2008

I believe that those "blips" were (barely) audible cues from a system
that CBS installed at the radio network in (I think) the '50s and
continued to use for decades thereafter. It was called NetAlert. If
I'm not mistaken, I first heard NetAlert cues on WROW Albany after it
replaced WTRY Troy as the CBS affiliate in New York's Capital
District. That would have been while I was in college around 1953 or
so.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@mail.com>
To: "Doug Drown" <revdoug1@verizon.net>; "Bob Nelson"
<raccoonradio@mail.com>; "Donna Halper" <dlh@donnahalper.com>;
<boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 8:18 AM
Subject: Re: that horrible BEEP

Well, I meant the blip heard when they went to a commercial (network
radio news)--which also could
be a series of two two-tone messages (musical notes, approximately:
But yes there is the TOH "bong" before the network radio news on
CBS...
the "ding" I referred to was on TV, especially in prime time.

Example, from 1970s:
Saturday 9 pm (IIRC)
--Slide for Ch 7 Boston
--Ding!