that horrible BEEP

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Sat Jan 19 07:53:54 EST 2008

If you're talking about CBS' historic on-the-hour "bong," which is still
used on the radio, I remember it very well from TV when I was a kid.  I
don't think it was eliminated until the early '70s.

I'll check out that website link, Bob.  Terry Morgan out in New York knows
the histories of these things.  I'll try to contact him and see if he can
put in his two cents' worth.

  -Doug

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@mail.com>
To: "Donna Halper" <dlh@donnahalper.com>;
<boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:56 AM
Subject: Re: that horrible BEEP

Speaking of beeps--or bells-- I've noticed over the years some "blips"
during radio
network newscasts (maybe an audible signal sent to stations for some
reason)...

...and how about the days when you'd tune to one of the network TV
affiliates in prime time (especially)
and hear a bell at the top of the hour? Sometimes you would even see,
briefly,
a slide for the flagship station--so when Ch 7 was the CBS affiliate in the
70s,
you would hear that beep and perhaps briefly see a slide for "WCBS-TV 2 New
York City".

Want to hear that beep for old times sake? It shows up when you click on to
http://www.tvparty.com

Ding! (Maybe related to the Southwest Airlines ding!)