that horrible BEEP

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Jan 18 13:16:20 EST 2008

Do any of you nice folks recall when a phone call used to be put on
the air, how you'd hear a really annoying beep every few seconds?  I
am trying to find out when the FCC said you didn't have to do that
anymore... and why they made radio stations do it in the first
place... My vague recollection is that it was done because the caller
was being warned that his/her call was going out over the air-- but
that seems like a silly reason, given that callers to talk shows
WANTED their call to be put on the air...