WUBB

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Jan 14 13:09:18 EST 2008

Clear Channel has owned WUBB for quite awhile now and own Kiss 108 as
well.  This is a change in strategy for the Clear Channel cluster in
Portsmouth.  After trying to take a bite out of WOKQ for years with
little success, they're trying something different with 95.3.  The
company also owns WERZ on the Seacoast, whose format has evolved to Hot
AC after being the hit station for the market for many years.

There is some regional synergy happening here.  WJMN has always done
very well in the Portsmouth market, especially for an out of market
station.  WXKS-FM makes it up there too, but it's signal isn't as
strong, particularly in the northern part of the market.  Flipping WUBB
to a Kiss 108 clone fills those gaps, and allows WERZ to go more
adult--and presumably bill better.  Between WJMN, WERZ and the new
Kiss, CC/Portsmouth has built a "wall of women" position they can own
and sell.  It might be too much pop music for the market to handle, but
we'll see how it all plays out.

I think the straight simulcast of Kiss 108 will only be temporary.
Eventually they'll most likely simulcast Matty then go their own way
after 10am.  I could even see them use the exact same music logs as
Boston, but broadcast separately with the Boston jocks cutting
customized breaks for 95.3.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"