Is WCRB up for sale?

Ric Werme ewerme@comcast.net
Wed Jan 9 01:05:37 EST 2008

Scott wrote:

>  The last corporate classical FM
> station I can think of in a sizable market is Bonneville's KDFC, San
> Francisco.

Cleveland (#28 at http://www.arbitron.com/home/mm001050.asp ) appears to
still have WCLV at 104.9 and http://wclv.com/.  They had a program, I think
on Saturday that was similar to WCRB's Saturday Night.  For a while they
exchanged parts of their program with the other.  Each was involved in
fund raising for the biggest "local" orchestra, I remember a WCLV vistor
having trouble pronouncing names like Leominster.  (He nailed Worcester.)

Their page http://wclv.com/page.php?pageID=62 is worth reading, an excerpt:

  The culmination of a three-year process to preserve classical music on the
  radio in Cleveland took place on November 1, 2001, when WCLV 104.9 FM was
  donated to the non-profit WCLV Foundation, established under the auspices
  of The Cleveland Foundation. Robert Conrad and Richard Marschner, the
  majority stockholders of WCLV, made the donation.

  WCLV 104.9 FM continues to operate as a commercial radio station, with any
  excess profits benefiting five major Cleveland arts institutions: The
  Cleveland Orchestra, The Cleveland Museum of Art, The Cleveland Institute
  of Music, The Cleveland Playhouse, ideastream and The Cleveland Foundation.

I grew up in Painesville, about 25 miles east of Cleveland.  Haven't heard
WCLV in ages.

  -Ric Werme