Boston is a Top 10 market again

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 8 13:56:41 EST 2008

Kevin Vahey wrote:
> Here is the new list
>
> http://www.arbitron.com/home/mm001050.asp
>
> One market that is vanishing is Buffalo which at the current rate maybe
> smaller than Rochester in a short time.
>
> Buffalo is 52   Rochester 54

Take those numbers with at least a small grain of salt, only because the
counties between Buffalo and Rochester have a tendency to flop back and
forth between markets from year to year.

Like Detroit, Buffalo has really become two markets - a surprisingly
affluent and vital ring of suburbs surrounding a decaying central city.
  At that, there are more sparks of life in the city of Buffalo right
now than there are within Detroit city limits.

There's another thing about Buffalo that the numbers don't show: the
market feels bigger than Rochester in large part because of the mammoth
Golden Horseshoe of southern Ontario, from Niagara up to Toronto, that's
just across the river. Especially as the Canadian dollar hangs in there
above par, there's a steady stream of commerce across the border. That's
one big reason why they have an NFL team and an NHL team (and almost
landed an NL baseball team in the eighties), and we have...er...the
National Lacrosse League champions.