doings at WUBB 95.3 seacoast of NH/ME...

Paul Hopfgarten paul@derrynh.net
Thu Jan 3 18:21:45 EST 2008

Speaking of Nassau...

Is there some delay in the flip of WWHQ/WWHK to //WEEI?

I get the impression that the change is NOT about to happen at least at
these stations.

Anyone know what's going on?

-Paul Hopfgarten
-Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@tsornin.BostonRadio.org] On Behalf Of
David Tomm
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:27 PM
To: Bob Nelson
Cc: boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org
Subject: Re: doings at WUBB 95.3 seacoast of NH/ME...

WHRB regularly wreaks havoc on WUBB south of Portsmouth, but it's
really pronounced in the summertime.

CHR would not make sense for WUBB.  WERZ is still reporting to the
trades as a CHR, even though they have always taken an adult approach
with it.  The station has 25 years of heritage in the format, is
normally a top 4 station overall in the ratings, and bills well.  Why
would CC want to mess with that? Combine that with the ratings success
co-owned WJMN normally pulls in the market, there really is no need for
another female targeted 18-34 station.  Even if the company was to
transition WERZ to a full-blown Hot AC, thats too many stations chasing
after similar demos in a small market.  That doesn't even include WRED,
the JJ Jeffrey-owned rhythmic station in Saco, right up the dial and
down the road from WUBB.  It would be overkill.

Doing country didn't make sense either in the shadow of the mighty WOKQ
but WUBB stuck with it for nine years and rarely even placed in the 12+
ratings.  I'm surprised CC didn't make changes sooner.  The last time
that station pulled any kind of decent ratings was the mid-90's, when
it ran an oldies format as Cool 95.3.  It normally placed in the two's
12+ and was considered successful keeping in mind it's signal
limitations.  If CC can find the right niche format that's cheap to
run, they should be able to make some money with that signal.

Sports would be an interesting choice.  Running Fox Sports Radio along
with Jim Rome and local games (CC holds the market rights to the Sox
and I think the Celtics) would be an inexpensive solution.  My question
is--with the Nassau deal to put WEEI on several of their stations
reportedly dead, is Clear Channel thinking about putting WEEI on 95.3?
Since they have the Sox and C's rights, WUBB could essentially straight
simulcast WEEI including games, which would extend WEEI's reach into
Southern Maine, where the 850 signal begins to fade out, particularly
at night.   It would be unusual for Clear Channel and Entercom to work
with each other like this, but with Entercom desperately wanting to
extend the WEEI brand further into New England, it wouldn't surprise me
if it was to happen.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas" (...channelling Joe Gallant...)