Subject: Voice-over Flubs

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Feb 27 11:37:40 EST 2008

I never heard that. As far as I know, prior to the 1957 transfer of
the license from Northern Corp (Pote' et al) to Richmond Bros, the
only application that WMEX filed for improved facilities was to
increase day power to 10 kW ND (no change in night facilities). I
believe that app was filed in the early 50s and was denied by the FCC
because it would have caused daytime skywave interference to WLAC.

Around 1969, WMEX did increase to 50 kW D/5 kW-N DA-2 (again, no
change in night facilities). This CP, which would have involved adding
one tower to the Quincy site, was granted before the Commonweath took
part of the WMEX land for a bridge over the Neponset River. As a
result of the land taking, WMEX lost one of its two existing
self-supporting towers as well as the part of the land on which would
have stood the new third (guyed) tower (to be used daytime only). It
then became necessary to add two guyed towers to the one remaining
self supporter. Through all this, there was no change to the night
pattern nor to the not-yet constructed day pattern. The day pattern
seemed like a joke; it was a modified cardioid aimed northeast--out
over open water. The engineer who designed it was crazy like a fox,
however. Although a lot of enegy did indeed go out over open water,
the signal along the coast and for several miles inland improved
significantly. Both WLAC and WNLC were protected.

Amazingly, WNLC's 10-kW day pattern, a broad, somewhat asymmetrical
modified cardioid (three towers) was actually aimed TOWARD WMEX, a
mere 77 miles away!

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367