Why I listen to satellite radio

Bill O'Neill billohno@gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:43:16 EST 2008

Even as I wrote that subject line I debated as to whether or not I had
to guts to boast of my increasing personal TSLs off of the bird given my
radio roots.  (I am coming up on my annual renewal and had actually kept
fairly quiet about my subscription here! <g>)  Terrestrial stations that
give me a reason to stay local get my time. Terrestrials who behave like
a coast-to-coast product are losing their reason to exist because
satellite technology is neat (unless you're under a tunnel but we have
forgiven AM for the same curse).

This is not a shot at great stations like WDEV (96.1//550). Even WMUD-LP
(89.3 Moriah), who is wall to wall music, is uniquely tailored to this
community with great plans.  There's VPR, of course. There are a couple
more, but that is about it - and most of those are on the venerable AM
band - WVMT (620 Burlington) and WGY (810 Schenectady).

The irony in all of this is there is so much that satellite providers
can't do that locals can do, by design. Once HD radio signals and
receivers penetrate local markets it may be too late for stations who
neglected their charter members!

Bill O'Neill
--
I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.
/Rodney Dangerfield/