Music Till Dawn on WEEI

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Feb 25 08:02:40 EST 2008

Although the substance of what you said about CFRB and KYW is true, I
don't think you can say that KYW's pattern is much tighter than is
typical for a Class IB--the array has only two towers. WWKB is a
rather typical ex-IB and, like many such stations in the US, it has a
three-tower array. The nearest full-time Class B that is co-channel to
WWKB is in Toledo OH, I believe--roughly the same distance from
Buffalo as WBIX is from Philadelphia. Also, aren't there two
directional daytimers on 1520 a very short distance apart in northEAST
Ohio? Those stations are much closer to WWKB than any AM 1060 is to
KYW.

As for CFRB's Class A status, has it been a IB/A ever since its move
to 1010 (which took place either concurrently with NARBA or shortly
thereafter)? Or had it, like the majority of Canada's As, been a Class
II until about 20 years ago? My understanding is that CFRB, like most,
if not all, of those newly minted Canadian Class As (including CKAC)
is an A in name only. That is, its nighttime-skywave coverage is not
protected from co-channel interference. For sure, CFRB's night pattern
(whichever one they are using) is more complex and restrictive than
those of other US or Canadian ex-IBs but, in complexity, is not
more restrictive than those of any number of Canadian ex Class IIs
that run 50 kW at night.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367