Jess Cain Memorial

Ed Forry eforry@bostonirish.com
Sat Feb 23 21:17:11 EST 2008

I attended a beautiful memorial service for Jess Cain today (Sat
2/23) at Glastonbury Abbey in Hingham.
The small chapel there for 10 am service was filled with perhaps 150
persons- Jess's family, and many, many
close friends.
Among the speakers was John "Pudge" Flynn, and he and others
reminisced with many great
stories from Jess' radio days, and also screened a wonderful seven
minute video featuring any number of
his memorable skits- Sidney Flack, Cash Call, et al., and bits of his
songs- Billerica, Natick, Take My Hand I'm
a stranger in Framingham, Nantasket- an insular peninsula down there
in Hull, and others.
The morning was  not without drama-  During Pudge's remarks, a man
collapsed and passed out. Several persons rushed to help,
Hingham police and EMTs arrived to assist, and after a 15 minute
delay he was taken out on a stretcher.
Pudge returned to the microphone, and told everyone: "Thankfully,
there was a doctor here-
Unfortunately, he's a gynecologist!" It was Jess' longtime friend and
buddy, Dr. Waldo Fielding, who also spoke.
BTW- the collapsed man had recovered by the time he was being
wheeled  out, and asked for the microphone
from Pudge. He told the congregation that he and Jess had "planned
this!" Later, police told me he had not
needed hospitalization- but what a perfect way to celebrate the great
Jess Cain's life!
Pudge also reports there are plans to have a public event in his
memory in June, sometime around Jess' birthday,
which I think is June 16 or 17.