Music Till Dawn on WEEI

kvahey@comcast.net kvahey@comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 23:34:26 EST 2008

Group W had their own late night show that for many years was Steve
Allen. They also had Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin and later David
Frost. Channel 4 had to run them. Channel 5 cleared Tonight for many
years but around 62 went to a 30 minute news.

My dad worked at channel 5 after his WTAO-TV fiasco and told me NBC
gave channel 5 Tonight because RCA was thrilled that WHDH gave RCA a
huge equipment order in 1957 buying all color gear.

At one point channel 4 wanted it back and NBC said no. Finally around
67 channel 4 got  Carson. Channel 5 then got involved with something
with a name like the Opelmeyer Network that had a new late night show
from Vegas that was a disaster. Then CBS signed Merv.