Late-nite DXing

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Feb 23 22:34:58 EST 2008

On 23 Feb 2008 at 19:50, Cohasset / Hippisley wrote:

> For the next 4-1/2 years there was hardly a night I didn't go to sleep
> listening to AM broadcast band "DX" on my little 5-tuber.  Somewhere I
> still have the reception log I kept.  I lived in the Finger Lakes of
> upstate NY, and my only local station went off the air before
> midnight.  After sundown the Syracuse stations (with patterns that
> generally protected stations in my direction from them) were
> non-players, so the closest nighttime Top Pop stations I normally
> tuned in were WKBW, WPTR, and WMEX.  During the day, my #1 choice was
> the quite conservative Top 40 format and delivery of Syracuse's WFBL
> "Big Six" announcers on 1390 kHz.

When I was in high school, someone showed me a trick that works on
most of the later-model 5-tube radios with miniature tubes and
printed circuits.  I never could get it to work on the earlier 5-tube
radios with larger tubes and hand-wired circuits, not could I do it
with solid-state radios.

What you would do was connect a length of wire, about two to three
yards (shorter or longer didn't work as well) across the terminals of
the loop antenna.  That would cause the radio to receive shortwave
signals from about the  six to eleven megahertz bands. Reception
wasn't great, but you could get the large broadcasters, such as the
BBC, Swiss Radio International, Radio Deutsche Welle, and most of the
Iron Curtain countries.  I did that for some time, in college and
into law school until I got a regular shortwave radio.