An Appreciation of Jess Cain

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Feb 23 14:50:00 EST 2008

 "The Seacoast" wrote:

> Somewhere I around here, I have a cassette of Neil Cannon on 850 playing
> Bohemian Rhapsody (edited) on yes, WHDH.

  So I wasn't the only one to have heard this short version of "Bohemian
Rhapsody" on "85 in Boston, where your friends are, with another cash call
from Copley Square just moments away" as Dave Supple would say. I only heard
it a couple of times, and I don't think I ever heard any other station
playing an edited version of the above named song.

  WCAP did edit a few songs when Bob Dumais was PD back in the mid to late
70's. In 1977, 'CAP played an edited "You Made Me Believe In Magic" by the
Bay City Rollers that cut out the guitar riff about 2/3 through the song.
They also played an edit of Leo Sayer's "How Much Love" that cut the
electric guitar riff just before the final verse. And finally, an edited
"Hotel California" by the Eagles that was simply a quick fade of the song
about 5 seconds into the start of the 2+ minute electric guitar portion of
the tune. These songs were played off carts, as WCAP normally played all
current & gold off records back in those days.

Mark Watson