A birthday to celebrate

kvahey@comcast.net kvahey@comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 23:19:17 EST 2008

Don Pardo is the last vestage of the WNBC staff announcer contact that
AFTRA had in New York. They would assign an announcer to a studio at
30 Rock and it would be that announcers domain no matter what the show
was. Pardo was assigned 8-H when Johnny
Olson relocated to LA in 1972.

Pardo told friends he planned to retire after this new show assigned
to 8-H folded in 1975. The show was SNL.

A footnote on the whacky system that NBC had.

Bill Wendell was assigned to be the booth announcer in I think 6-B at
30 Rock. He was there for Ernie K, and then forgotten game shows until
Letterman arrived. When Letterman moved to CBS he made sure that loyal
NBC employees had all benefits transferred.