The down and dirty remote...

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Tue Feb 19 15:17:09 EST 2008

Good points.  As I mentioned in my original post, WMWM's annual operating
budget is less than I spend at a Starbucks on a typical year so the other
options are nice but out of the question.  Once we've paid our music
licensing fees, we pretty much broke. (sidenote - Donors gratefully
welcomed!)

I've used this rig extensively for the past 5 weeks to do my weekly shows
from my office studio rather than the stations.  I cheat here because I have
two separate DSL lines coming into the office.  The office itself uses a
SDSL line from One Communications.  All of my "public" servers are on a
separate ADSL line from Verizon.  I've created a separate network backbone
here at the office and placed the studio computers (ie the "transmitter" and
the IceCast server) on that network on the Verizon line.  The latency
between the "transmitter" and IceCast server is virtually zilch. We get
about 10-20 seconds between here and Salem State.  The only time that I've
had dropouts was during the first week when I was controlling the computer
at WMWM remotely via "Go to my PC".  I use "Go to my PC" to stop the
automation and fire up Winamp.  The only thing that I can't override is if
the outgoing DJ doesn't pot up the automation computer.

As for latency, it appears that IceCast is essentially a FIFO (first in,
first out) system.  When we did the Beverly/Salem game, we connected to the
server 2 hours prior to game time and very little latency.  Those folks who
connected to "moorestuffonline.com" and picked up the feed on their computer
got longer and longer times depending on how late they joined in.

We're looking towards eventually streaming the station using a commercial
vendor as the actual streamcast server.  I was looking at the Barix box for
the "STL" link to them.  Any experience with this?

Professional Cinema, Commercial and Residential AV

Brian Vita
President Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St - Ste 4
Peabody, MA 01960-5691