6 million may lose digital TV reception

Roger Kolakowski rogerkola@aol.com
Tue Feb 19 10:36:32 EST 2008

Are the cable companies going to continue to convert to analog and position
digital higher in the "channels" as an extra or are they going to downlink
digital and put the analog in the set top converter boxes and make that an
"extra"?

Roger
WA1KAT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Kirk" <rogerkirk@ttlc.net>
To: "Sid Schweiger" <sid@wrko.com>; <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: 6 million may lose digital TV reception

> The February 09 deadline applies primarily to people using antennae.
> Cable and satellite users have little or nothing to worry about.  And,
> based on the tone of the ad, I'll bet that Jordan's sales pitch will be
> unlikely to start with a converter.  Since a large number of television
> viewers use cable, the Feb 2009 deadline affects a lesser segment of the
> population.
>
> The ad did not qualify the statement by saying "if you don't have cable
> or satellite" and "use an antenna or rabbit ears".  Thus, IMO they are
> sowing the seeds of fear, uncertainty and doubt to a significant number
> of people "who have nothing to fear but advertising itself"

> > touting this concept.  He basically said that one year from today, you
"could" be unable to receive shows on your current television - even if you
just bought it.  He went on to
> > tout Jordan's Furniture's "solutions" - which include models all the way
up to a $1,900 LCD TV.

> > While what he says is fundamentally true i.e. you "could" be unable...,
to me, this marks a big change in their original advertising paradigm -
"fact tags, plain
> > truth, easy sell & underprices" to using the age-old Fear, Uncertainty &
Doubt to get customers in the door.<<

> > There's nothing non-factual or even "fear, uncertainty and doubt" about
it, and lots of "plain truth."  Unless you have cable or satellite (which
face their own deadlines for digital conversion in 2012), analog TV will
cease transmissions one year from this past Sunday.  That is set in stone
(it was an act of Congress, not of the FCC), and the only thing that will
pry it loose from that stone is another act of Congress.  (Many industry
experts believe that not all DTV stations will be on the air as of the
conversion date, but the Congressional act specifically prohibited waivers
of the deadline.)

> > If you just bought a set, and if the retailer you bought it from was
obeying the letter of the law, you have already been warned about this.  The
FCC requires that consumers be warned of the 2/17/2009 conversion deadline
at the point of purchase.